staceyhuston7

Head In The Clouds

Books, Book Reviews, And Random Musings

External Forces (The Laws Of Motion) (Volume 1)

External Forces - Deborah Rix More Reviews:

Head In The Clouds

**I received this as an eARC through Netgalley from Dime Store Books in exchange for an honest review. In no way does that effect the thoughts and opinions voiced here. I did not receive compensation in any way to write this review.**

REVIEW

Well we have another one folks! This book was fantastic!

The concept behind the reason for the world falling apart is different, something I hadn't read in a dystopian thus far. The Devotees who make up the New World's governing body have spun a tale saying God sent an asteroid to destroy the world to cleanse them of the Deviants. Now they have to prove they are worthy which leads them to messing with the genes of the people. While we learn a lot behind the Devotees reasons and motives I still think there is a lot more to learn.

Our MC is Jessica Grant. Jess is a strong MC but because of her past is full of insecurities and trust issues. She has one friend, Jay. Her mother hates and fears her, so other than Jay she has no-one. The story starts off with her and Jay twisting the system so they can be called into the military rather than leave their futures to be decided by the Devotees. Once inside the military Jess has to prove herself worthy of being there, along the way she makes new friends and finds herself falling for her black ops sergeant. I was really happy that Jess was able to find herself a part of such a tight group of people.

I feel I should mention up front that while there is action and suspense, a big part of the book also revolved around the budding relationship between Jess and Matt. I was completely fine with this since I happen to like a little action with my romance stories. Not to mention the chemistry between Matt and Jess is soo intense. Matt is pretty smooth and there were numerous times he had me feeling like a giddy school girl. *sigh*

Rix did a good job of balancing everything going on. While there is obvious chemistry between Jess and Matt it isn't the only thing going on. Rix also develops strong relationships between Jess and her black ops team. I especially love Sheree, she balances out Jess' self consciousness by being overly confident.

Even after finishing the book I feel like there is so much more going on. I can't wait to see where this series goes and if I am anywhere near the truth.