staceyhuston7

Head In The Clouds

Books, Book Reviews, And Random Musings

Oath of Servitude (The Punishment Sequence)

Oath of Servitude (The Punishment Sequence) - C.E.  Wilson **I received Oath of Servitude from the author in exchange for an honest review. In no way does that influence the thoughts or opinions of this review.

"A human life span is but the blink of an eye for a true pixi. We open and close again before those around us, those we love, can ever really come to understand who we truly are."
-Owen to Cailin

I have never read a book about pixi's but after reading the summary of Oath Of Servitude, I was excited to dive into the story. I have also never read a book where there is such a difference in size between the characters so for me it was hard to comprehend that, but that's because of my lack of creativity, not the author's descriptions. Good thing there are writers like C.E. to cause me to excercise that creative muscle!

Cailin is a young pixi who does not want to conform to pixi ways, because of this the Portune (pixi council) have sentenced her to serving out an oath owed to a human by her father. She is sent to live with Owen and his son Teague; her job is to come into their home and help Teague adapt to his new life and environment after an accident has left his life forever changed. If she doesn't fulfill her oath, or breaks it, she will be sentenced to the Darkness; which evidently is terrifying, though we don't really know what it is. While staying with Owen and Teague she learns about humans and develops a relationship with the two of them. Towards the end of the book an event happens causing all sorts of chaos, which in turn caused me to hold my breath till it was over.

I must admit, I don't really like Cailin. I feel like she NEVER listens and is a tad bit whiny. I would really love for her to learn to stand her ground and grow a backbone. Teague is how you would expect a moody teenage boy to act after having his world ripped away from him. And Owen is the type of parent who makes all sorts of excuses for their kid in order to baby them. He wants Cailin to get Teague out of his funk but as soon as she treats Teague harshly, Owen is angry with her! Frustrating! I really love the relationship between Cailin and Teague and I'm excited to see how it continues to develop. Though the moody girl in me really wishes Cailin would have been a little harsher on Teague at the end of the book, you know, make him suffer!

The book kind of starts off slow, it wasn't until halfway through that I was really captivated. So make sure to hang in there if you feel like it's dragging. The main thing I had a hard time with was the third person narrative. I prefer to be in the head of one person and have the story be told from their point of view. That way I get really connected and invested in the character. I didn't really get a chance to connect with any of them, so I really struggled with that. I also felt like we were left wondering about a lot of things, especially since they kept getting brought up only to be left unanswered. My hope is that the next book really dives into the pixi world and hopefully we get more answers. Like I said, I'm excited to see what develops!

Find more reviews: