staceyhuston7

Books, Book Reviews, And Random Musings

UnEarthed

UnEarthed - Rebecca Bloomer More Reviews:
Head In The Clouds

**I received this as an eARC through Netgalley from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. In no way does that effect the thoughts and opinions expressed here. I did not get compensated in any way for this review.**

REVIEW

My thoughts are a jumbled mess when it comes to thinking about Unearthed, much like the book itself was. For being such a short read (right around 100 pages) it took me THREE days to finish it! There were some ideas that I liked; life on Mars, along with space travel, Jodi's hacker skills and the technology spoken about were all pretty fascinating but that's where my interest ended. I feel like those ideas along with the governmental issues should have been explored more in depth. The characters felt flat and I was constantly wondering why Jodi felt a pull to her new "friends" Astrid and Jules. What led up to the ending was the only excitement I felt during the book but even those events came out of nowhere. I'm left feeling like there was no plot and I'm asking myself what the point of the story was.

One thing that drove me absolutely NUTS was Jodi's nail biting/chewing/picking habit. It's so gross and every time she mentioned tearing a sliver of a nail off I wanted to hit her upside the head. Ok so you want your character to have a nervous habit? Fine. Mention it once or twice, maybe three times but constantly describing it through the whole book is really too much.

Overall I feel like if the book had been a little longer we would have had a chance to get more details and character development. The story has a ton of potential it just needs...more.